The vending industry is an extremely broad term, encompassing markets from cold drink machines, to hot coffee machines, to car parking and ticketing machines.
Essentially, whenever a product or service is provided to a customer in exchange for cash, a "vend" has taken place,
Bank note readers are very popular in vending applications where:
- There is limited high denomination coin currency available, as in the USA
- High-priced products are offered
- Convenient bank notes are available (US$1)
- Convenience is required and change is offered
Each industry has its own particular requirements, which include :
- physical dimensions,
- note acceptance,
- note stacking options,
- peripheral to host communications
For example, food/drink vending machines generally call for MDB communications protocols and low security cashboxes, whilst carpark ticketing machines typically require serial RS232 communications and secure, removable note cassettes.